Monday 23 May 2016

The Knitter's Downfall

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you:

The Knitter's Downfall

Dramatis Personae
JEMIMA - A knitter
JEMIMA'S INNER VOICE
MUM - Jemima's Mum


Enter JEMIMA, knitting, and JEMIMA'S INNER VOICE

Jemima: Oh, what a clever knitter I am! I should have this jumper design ready any day now. I'm already up to the armholes on the sample!
Jemima's Inner Voice: Hm...Are you quite sure about this yarn? I mean, it's nice, but it's not quite looking like the original version you made that you were so happy with.
Jemima: No, it's fine! I'm making improvements on this version and I'm sure it will look just wonderful when it's blocked, and even though it may not have that nice shine to it from the silk in the original and it does seem to be slightly looser than my old sample was but...what am I talking about, I'm up to the armholes! I can't stop now! One must press on!
Jemima's Inner Voice: Ok, it's just that the tension looks kind of loose, and have you noticed how it's turning out to be rather larger than you were expecting? Maybe you should try and dig out your notes from the original, just to check.
Jemima: Ssh! It's fine. It will be fine. I'm sure it was 2.75mm and 3.25mm needles that I used before. 2.75mm for the rib and 3.25mm for the lace. That sounds right. I'm sure that's right.

Enter MUM

Mum: Oh is this the new jumper design? It looks a bit looser than your original doesn't it? I think I preferred the original yarn but it's very pretty - let me know when it's written up!

Exit MUM

Jemima's Inner Voice: *pointedly clears throat*
Jemima: No, no! It's fine! Everything's fine! It...it..maybe it's just the yarn, it just appears looser. Because it doesn't have silk. Or something? Well, maybe I should just check my notes, although I'm sure you'll see that it's fine..

Jemima examines notebook.

Jemima: Ah. 2.5 and 3mm. Ok.
Jemima's Inner Voice: ...
Jemima: And you know, this yarn...well, it's not quite right is it? Maybe I should use this yarn instead. Like the original. With the silk, you know, it does just look better, doesn't it.
Jemima's Inner Voice (sighing): Yes it *does*, doesn't it...

Exit JEMIMA and JEMIMA'S INNER VOICE 

*several days later*

Enter JEMIMA, knitting

Jemima: This is fantastic! This yarn looks so much better! And now I'm using the correct needles, and everything's great. Except for having to knit 4 inches of ribbing. Why do all my design ideas start off with 4 inches of ribbing? Anyway, this is great, I just need to push through and get to the lace pattern, then it will start flying off the needles! What a clever knitter I am!

Exit JEMIMA, knitting

*several more days later *

Enter JEMIMA, knitting, and JEMIMA'S INNER VOICE

Jemima's Inner Voice: Er, Jemima...?
Jemima: Not now, I'm knitting!
Jemima's Inner Voice: Yes, I see that, it's just - 
Jemima: Not now! I've finally finished the ribbing and I'm enjoying knitting the lace so much on these lovely fine Chiaogoo needles, they're so thin and pointy...
Jemima's Inner Voice: Yes, they ARE quite thin, aren't they?
Jemima: Yes, they are from my lovely new Chiaogoo Mini set, it's so lovely having a 2.5mm interchangeable needle so that I can do fine things with them, like the ribbing...on a sweater...oh...
Jemima's Inner Voice: You forgot to change the needle after the ribbing, didn't you?
Jemima: ...yes.

FINIS

************

Oh dear! All I can say in my defence is that I have been distracted from my knitting over the past week by finally making a large purchase that I have been saving up for for a looooong time and, well...does this look like the face of sanity to you?


But now the sweater is underway again, I have my MacBook, and both of these things are PINK. So all's well that ends well, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment